Saturday, September 7, 2013

Book Review: Everneath by Brodi Ashton


Everneath, by Brodi Ashton
2012, 370p, Fantasy, Mythology
My Rating=5 stars
Source: Audiobook borrowed from the library 

Last spring, Nikki Beckett vanished, sucked into an underworld known as the Everneath. Now she’s returned—to her old life, her family, her boyfriend—before she’s banished back to the underworld . . . this time forever. She has six months before the Everneath comes to claim her, six months for good-byes she can’t find the words for, six months to find redemption, if it exists.

Nikki longs to spend these precious months forgetting the Everneath and trying to reconnect with her boyfriend, Jack, the person most devastated by her disappearance—and the one person she loves more than anything. But there’s just one problem: Cole, the smoldering immortal who enticed her to the Everneath in the first place, has followed Nikki home. Cole wants to take over the throne in the underworld and is convinced Nikki is the key to making it happen. And he’ll do whatever it takes to bring her back, this time as his queen.

As Nikki’s time on the Surface draws to a close and her relationships begin slipping from her grasp, she is forced to make the hardest decision of her life: find a way to cheat fate and remain on the Surface with Jack or return to the Everneath and become Cole’s queen.

Everneath is a captivating story of love, loss, and immortality from debut author Brodi Ashton.
(Goodreads)

This is a book I've had on my TBR list for a while. And I seriously love the cover! I decided to borrow it on audiobook from the library and once I started listening to it, I couldn't stop. When I listen to audiobooks, it's usually in my car and I have about a half hour at a time and that's usually fine with me. However, for this book, I found myself putting my headphones on every chance I got and actually cleaned my house since I like to be doing something while I'm listening. 

Nikki Beckett disappeared a year ago and has now returned. She's been in the Everneath with Cole for a hundred years (in Everneath time) and only has six months before she has to go back there. She came home to say goodbye to her family and friends. And to see Jack.

This story is based on the myths of Persephone and Hades and Orpheus and Eurydice. It shifts back and forth between the time before the feed and now. I loved the unfolding of the story as we got little bits and pieces that made me keep listening so I could learn more. 

I hate Cole and how he manipulates Nikki to do what he wants her to. And I love Jack who is devastated that she left and has a hard time moving on. I hated the events that led up to her leaving with Cole and wanted to scream at her. Yes, I felt strong emotions with this book which is probably why I loved it so much!

There are still questions and the ending left me wanting more! Thank goodness book 2 is already out and book 3 will be coming out in January so I don't have too much longer to wait! I don't remember any objectionable content. This is a book I highly recommend!!


0 comments:

Post a Comment