Tuesday, February 5, 2013

When Your Prayers Seem Unanswered

The middle to end of last year was extremely difficult for me. A lot seemed to happen in a short period of time and I found myself in tears a lot (and I'm not one to cry very often). I know what I should do in those situations but I had some anger, too, and wasn't willing to humble myself enough to do it.

One day, I was reading some book reviews and came across one for this book. I can't locate it now but it touched me that day in a way nothing else had for a while. The title When Your Prayers Seem Unanswered jumped out at me and I felt that it was a book I needed to read. Michael Wilcox gave this talk at a Time Out for Women event. It's not a long book, but it is powerful! 

It's hard for me to put into words what it's about so here's the description from Deseret Book:  "The wind was fierce, and the disciples of Jesus had long rowed against it before the Lord finally came to them, walking on the water in the fourth watch of the night-somewhere between 3:00 and 6:00 A.M. In this talk on CD, Michael Wilcox compares this with our own experiences in challenging times. When our trials go on indefinitely, we should not assume that God does not hear our prayers, or that He does not care, or that we are unworthy. Perhaps we have not yet reached the 'fourth watch.' This comforting message increases our faith and patience, offers profound hope and solace, and explains how the Lord often works with us."

The Fourth Watch is a powerful concept and then he goes beyond that to help us understand what's happening when we arrive at the Fourth Watch and he still hasn't come. That's when we know we're tight like a dish (Ether). He also talks about holding places--sometimes we need more life experiences before we are given the answers we're looking for and he shares his experience with his father who abandoned their family when he was young. I love this quote from this section: "Occasionally, answers aren't given or the blessings we desire don't come or the trials we bear continue because there is no place in our hearts for God to put the answer we need. Life must carve or hollow out this place. The very experiences we are going through help to create these holding places. Yet he still hears our prayers and promises the resolution will come in time."

There are lots of great nuggets in this book and I highlighted the last two pages. I'm feeling much better these days. And no, my trials haven't all disappeared. I have gained a new perspective on them and know that God is mindful of my life. I also love that the title is When Your Prayers Seem Unanswered and not When Your Prayers Go Unanswered. We have the assurance that our prayers are answered in God's time and we need to be willing to learn what will help us become the best we can along the way!

This book is also on CD and I'm wanting to listen to it as well. I have found that when I also listen to a book, I pick up even more nuggets!

My Rating: 5 stars


0 comments:

Post a Comment