Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Dr. Seuss: Day 1

Yesterday was Day One of our Dr. Seuss celebration and these are the books we each picked to read. 


My daughter chose Oh, the Places You'll Go!, which is probably my favorite Dr. Seuss book. This is a popular book to give to a high school graduate but I think the lessons in it need to be taught way before that. One of my favorite parts is, "...Wherever you fly, you'll be best of the best. Wherever you go, you will top all the rest. Except when you don't. Because, sometimes, you won't." What a great lesson to learn! He also goes on to talk about unslumping yourself, the Waiting Place, being alone, facing your problems and succeeding. It's good to know that even though life is full of ups and downs, we each have the opportunity to shine in our own way and the path is different for each one of us.

My Rating: 5 stars


My son chose Green Eggs and Ham, which makes me laugh because he's one of the pickiest eaters you'll ever meet. Of course, I took the opportunity to talk to him about the importance of at least trying new foods because you never know what you might like. He has been more adventurous lately and hasn't liked most things he's tried but has picked up a couple of new things that he'll eat. I totally understand how happy Sam-I-Am feels at the end of the book! I can get into my comfort zone, too, and only eat certain foods so it's good for me to remember to continue to try new foods because I might just find a new favorite!

My Rating: 4.5 stars


My pick was Happy Birthday to You! No particular reason except that I hadn't read it in a long time. My daughter and I both have March birthdays and she would love to live in Katroo so she can party with The Great Birthday Bird! Not to mention have a huge party at the Birthday Pal-alace! Oh, how I love Dr. Seuss and his made up, fun words. 

My Rating: 4.5 stars

0 comments:

Post a Comment